Sunday, July 12, 2009

When did all my friends move to Seattle?

DSC03117
It’s hard to believe, but before this trip I had never been to Seattle. Ever. It’s even harder to believe when I think about all the wonderful people I know who live in Seattle. And how close it is to SF. What in the world was I thinking? Only after an epic drive was I aware of what I had been missing out on, leaving me with just a bit of regret that I never made that weekend trip from SF. The one in a plane, not in a car. The good news is that I made it. Finally.
Five days seemed like a pretty good chunk of time to spend in Seattle. I knew I had many people to see, but proportionally it was the longest amount of time I was spending anywhere until I got to Montana. On top of the people who lived there, I also had friends from other places who were also going to be in town. Needless to say, five days was not enough. I was so grateful for the refuge of Elizabeth & Justin’s house – a bedroom all to my own and a place to set down all my worldly possessions in a safe, out-of-the-way space.
DSC03113My buddies who helped with just about everything.
And a place to sleep at long last. I could have spent the entire time just sleeping. But there were people to see! Elizabeth and I had a great time wandering around the city, going for hikes, eating the most amazing stone fruit in Pike’s Place Market, shopping (mostly window) and generally hanging out.
Kimmy G was enjoying her first week at her new job after just wrapping up her own mass exodus/travel around the world/discover the next new thing. Elizabeth and I met her for a drink near the Conservation International office.
DSC03116Kimmy G, Lizard & I enjoy a glass of wine in the sun.
I was really fortunate to get to spend time with my uncle Jami, Valerie and my cousins Micah, Josiah and Rachel all of whom I hadn’t seen in ages. In fact, I don’t think I had ever met Micah before. Considering he’s a rising Freshman, I would say a visit was a little overdue. Seriously??  
DSC03121Here’s the motley crew of us at the bakery Rachel manages. Note that Rachel’s boyfriend is of no relation to me. Yet.  
I had a great couple days out at Bainbridge Island where I got to spend time with my friend Elizabeth from Austin who happened to be in town visiting her friend Dora. The three of us had all been to Puerto Vallarta for Katie Kahn’s wedding two years before and it was a great little reunion with a lovely hike in one of the island parks.
IMG_6058Since we didn’t take any pictures on Bainbridge, here’s a picture of Dora & Elizabeth (and Larry) when we were in Mexico.
On my last morning after a jam-packed Seattle extravaganza, I drove up to visit Maria and meet little Elena before I headed out of town. Maria and I had known each other since my early days at TNC and it was great drinking coffee out on her patio, catching up on TNC gossip, swapping upcoming international travel plans and reflecting on everything that had transpired in our lives in the past decade.
And with that, it was time to pack it all up again and move on. South this time, for a quick stop in Portland before heading heading East. I’d be lying if I didn’t say there wasn’t a slight melt-down before re-packing the car. Elizabeth and Justin had left to go to San Diego for some R&R and I was pretty overwhelmed by the prospect of being encumbered by all my belongings again. Shockingly, with all the socializing, there was very little time for sleep in Seattle (isn’t there a movie about that?) and I was still running a pretty significant deficit. But onward I must go, my PERC deadline in Montana driving me to the first finish line. Must… get… to Bozeman…

No comments:

Post a Comment